Friday, April 6, 2012

Celebrating Volunteers


April is National Volunteer Month.  Access Home Care and Hospice appreciates all the hard work and hours our volunteers put in.  We would like to share a personal story by Sylvia Jones on volunteering:  

Many years ago, while I was employed full time at a busy job and also being a newly married lady, I gave of my time, talent, and energy at a mental institution in our town.  The joy I found and the satisfaction I felt was overwhelming.  At first it was somewhat scary to be in this environment, never having had anyone compromised in this way in my family circle or circle of friends.  But I had a reason for doing this.  I learned from this valuable time how to deal and cope with these situations and how to work with them.  

I volunteered in a locked-up environment which was also overwhelming at first.  To my surprise, I found out that a friend of my parents from many years back was a resident of this facility, and that when I was a baby this lady had wanted to keep me as she was unable to have children.  I brought this lady up to date with pictures, special items, and brought her up to current times.  The time came when she was able to piece things together and she said to me one day, “Please dear, you should not come here, as this is not a place for you.”  However I wanted to bring something into this lady’s life.  Together, after much time, we had closed up the years.  I was told that she would have been able to be released from the facility, but because she had no family to go to, she was unable not leave.  But I did bring her to my home on two occasions for afternoon refreshments, and I saw the joy of this lady “feeling a part of life.”  I have never forgotten this volunteering experience.  This lady later passed away but I have the fulfillment in my life of having done just a little to make a difference in the life of one person.

On behalf of all of Access Home Care and Hospice staff, thank you all for the time you have spent volunteering.  It has made such a difference in the lives of our patients and families.  Any liitle bit you are able to do really is appreciated and makes such a difference.  If you, or anyone you know is interested in volunteering, please contact your local office in your area.  Together we will help others “feel the difference.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment